Repairs & maintenance

Frequently asked repairs & maintenance questions for leaseholders who own their property outright

All of our new properties are constructed to a guaranteed standard. The construction contracts specify that the builder must resolve any problems that occur within 12 months of the property being built (this may vary). After this time only major structural defects are covered by the builder (Buildmark warranty such as NHBC) and will continue to be for up to 10 years. Ordinary wear and tear is not covered. Please keep your warranty documents safe as we do not hold copies of these.  

It is very important that you report any problems to us as soon as possible before the defects period has ended. Please only report defects directly to us (and not to the onsite builder on your development) so that we can monitor the progress of your defect effectively. Once your defect period has ended you are responsible for the maintenance of your home.  

You will be advised when you buy your property when the defect period ends for your home as timescales may vary depending on when the property was built. 

You can report defects directly to us  here. 

If you own an apartment and we are the freeholder you are responsible for repairs inside your home. We are responsible for repairs to the structure of your building and shared areas and will complete them within set timescales. 

If you own an apartment and we are not the freeholder you are responsible for repairs inside your home. The freeholder, or the managing agent for the freeholder, is responsible for repairs to the structure of your building and shared areas. 

If you report a repair that is your responsibility and we carry out the work, then you will be charged. 


We are responsible for communal repairs to your block or estate and you are responsible for all other repairs in your home. We repair and maintain the communal areas and you have a duty to pay us your share of the cost.  

The parts of the building and areas of the estate that remain in our ownership and that generally we will repair are: 

  • The structure and outside of the block of flats. e.g. roof and pointing 
  • The shared areas and services such as staircases, lifts, shared TV aerial, and so on 
  • Outside areas, playground area and equipment and estate walls and shared fences. 
  • Gutters, rainwater and soil pipes 
  • Communal equipment, lifts, door entry systems, car park roller gates, fire protection systems, lighting 


You can report a repair directly to us here. 

If you live in a flat, we are responsible for ensuring that the external and communal parts of the building are maintained to a good standard. We have a programme for cyclical redecorations and major works to ensure this. Cyclical redecorations will normally take place every 7 years, where required. Major works take place when items need replacing e.g. roof replacements and external communal walkway repairs etc. 

Before starting any works, we will consult with residents. You will be required to contribute to the cost of these works. We will either: 

  • invoice you for your proportion of the cost of these works. You can pay this straight away in full or we may agree to accept payment by instalments (up to 12 months only) 
  • Your property may have a sinking fund and where possible, we will utilise money from this fund. You may be required to ‘top this up’ to make up the difference to the invoice 

We strongly recommend that you have any gas appliances in your home serviced annually by a ‘Gas Safe' registered engineer.. This is for your own safety and that of other residents. 

If you are a 100% leaseholder and you sublet your property for less than seven years, you will have the legal obligations of a landlord and must ensure that gas fittings and flues   are maintained in a ‘safe condition’. You must have an annual safety check carried out by a ‘Gas Safe’ registered engineer. 

Got another question? Contact us here.

Love Living Homes
Got a different question or want to find out more?
Contact us today...